PTA Job Descriptions
Officer and Chairman Job Descriptions have been developed by California State PTA for use by unit, council, and district PTAs. These guidelines are meant to assist officers and chairmen in their duties throughout the term of office.
- Oversees and coordinates the work of an executive board to run a PTA effectively
- Presides at PTA board and association meetings
- Serves as the official contact, communicator and representative of a PTA
- Designated as an authorized signer for PTA checks, contracts and authorizations for payment
- Serves as ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee
- Works with other PTA leaders to connect families, school and community to support student success
Executive Vice President
- Works as the primary aide to the president
- Helps lead a PTA towards specific goals consistent with PTA purposes and policies
- Performs president’s duties in his or her absence
- Carries out other duties outlined in unit bylaws and standing rules or as assigned
- Maintains permanent records to track unit funds and financial transactions
- Chairs budget committee and prepares annual budget for adoption by the association
- Pays all PTA bills as authorized by board or association
- Prepares reports for every board and association meeting and an annual financial report
- Ensures taxes and reports required by PTA bylaws, insurance or federal and state governments are completed and submitted by the due dates
- Takes minutes at board and association meetings
- Co-signs formal papers with President: authorizations for payment, resolutions and formal letters
- Handles PTA correspondence as directed by the president
- Maintains and preserves PTA records and important documents to pass on at the end of the term
- Works closely with the treasurer and other financial officers in handling PTA funds
- Keeps a record of all PTA funds collected, deposited and disbursed
- Prepares monthly and annual financial reports
- Audits the books and financial records of a PTA to determine their accuracy
- Presents written reports on audits to the board and the association for adoption
- Forwards copies of adopted audits to council/district PTA as indicated in unit bylaws
- Assists the president to manage meetings and advises on parliamentary procedure
- Chairs bylaws committee to review unit bylaws each year and revise bylaws every three years
- Arranges nominating committee’s first meeting, providing information on nomination and election process
- Captures assembles and preserves record of activities and achievements of a PTA
- Collects volunteer hours for PTA meetings and events
- Completes and submits the PTA Unit-Annual Historian Report to council/district PTA
- Fills out Historian Summary Report and files copies as Historian records, like minutes are kept forever
- Copies of minutes, procedure book and, if applicable, president’s memory book
- Displays or presents brief overview of PTA year at meeting near the end of the school year
Arts & Education Committee
- Inform and educate the PTA membership, school community, and community at large about the importance of an integrated arts curriculum in the education of the whole child;
- Promote and encourage participation in the National PTA Reflections program, in conjunction with its chairman/coordinator;
- Connect with the SMARTS network and read and disseminate information provided in the SMARTS newsletter;
- Collaborate with arts leaders in the county office of education, teachers and administrators to promote and provide PTA- and/or school sponsored cultural arts activities and assemblies for all students;
- Seek partnerships with professional arts organizations in the community to better coordinate arts education, programs and cultural enrichment services for all students;
- Give a regular communications report to your PTA.
- Use PTA publications to promote PTA events and share information.
- Maintain an up-to-date website.
- Use social media to communicate with members.
- Encourage officers and chairmen to contribute short articles and reports for the newsletter, website, or social media site.
- Provide media releases as requested.
- Works with a committee, appointed by the president, to plan and organize fundraising activities
- Focuses on raising the amount of funds needed to meet the unit’s budget
- Presents reports on proposed fundraising activities at board and association meetings for approval
- Acts as official host of a PTA in creating welcoming atmosphere at meetings and events
- Works with committee and other chairman to organize and set up refreshments, food, decorations, registration, greeters and baby-sitting for PTA meetings and events
- Maintains hospitality supplies and equipment and an updated inventory for them
- Presents hospitality budget for approval at executive board meeting at start of the PTA year and monitor authorized budget
- Reports on hospitality plans at board meetings for forthcoming PTA events
- Set attainable membership goals for the year.
- Develop a membership theme, if appropriate.
- Create a year-long calendar of membership events. Include due dates set by council and district PTAs for remittances, and for awards and incentive.
- Develop a budget to support your membership plan projects and events.
Parent Involvement Committee
- Plans and organizes family engagement outreach, programs and activities for the school year
- Publicizes family engagement activities and events using newsletters, website, social media and backpack express
- Works with committee and other chairmen
- Works with the PTA president, principal and teachers to coordinate volunteer assignments at the school to support student success
- Collaborates with other PTA board members, teachers and administrators to assess and identify how parents/guardians and community members can get more involved at school as volunteers
- Oversees volunteer recruitment, training, and assignments
- Promotes PTA goals, membership and activities as a PTA committee chairman or officer
- Works with committee and other chairmen to plan and organize programs for the school year
- Collaborates with principal, PTA president, other committee chairmen and campus student groups to coordinate, plan and implement programs
- Develops annual program calendar and presents it at PTA association meeting for adoption
- Publicizes approved program calendar using newsletters, website, social networks and school handbook
- Oversees and delegates volunteer recruitment for implementing and running programs
Student Welfare Committee
- Cooperate with PTA program chairman to plan a safety program for at least one PTA meeting during the year. Secure guest speakers from community safety agencies. Make announcements and arrange displays, exhibits and posters at meetings.
- Encourage participation in the annual creation and/or review of the school’s Safety and Emergency/Disaster Preparedness Plans and share the plans with the membership and the community. Involve students in this process where appropriate.
- Become familiar with the school district’s and school site’s state-mandated disaster preparedness program. Is it up-to-date, adequate and enforced?